Sunday, April 17, 2016

Taking Classes in Multiple Languages: My Experience and Advice

Now that I have been keeping up with this blog for over three months, I decided that I would write a more personal blog post of what it has been liking taking advanced level courses in 4 different languages. I wanted to share my current schedule, so that I could inspire others to do so, showing that even busy, tired college students can successfully reach a high fluency and level in more than just one language. As a disclaimer, I had already taken 3 languages at once for 3 years in high-school, so it was not as hard of a transition for me as it could have been if had I not done so.


From 9:30-10:20 am, I have Russian 102, which helps me wake up in the morning. Since Russian is by far the most difficult language that I have ever studied, I love having it first thing in the morning five days a week. I have noticed that I have made leaps and bounds in terms of progress with Russian this semester. We have already reviewed all 6 cases and have slowly, but surely been hearing less and less English in the classroom. 

Since our professor is a teaching assistant from Russia, we have been able to gain a lot of insight about Russian culture, Russian norms, and about the Russian mindset. Our professor has been very patient with us when making mistakes, but expects that we put the work in in order to do well in the class. This has pushed me out of my comfort zone, making me want to truly understand what we have already learned and what we are learning in class. I love the emphasis that she has on speaking, especially because that is the skill that is most important to master when you are a beginner.

From 11:30-12:45 pm, I have Italian 231 on Mondays and on Wednesdays. The Italian course that I am currently taking is a writing-intensive course, but has also been vocabulary-intensive. We have already watched La Meglio Gioventù (a six-hour long Italian film) in clips and have had to memorize up over 100 words a week. I can now comfortably use idiomatic expressions, and more technical vocabulary when speaking and writing. Our class is also a hundred percent immersion, which has kept me in an Italian versus an English mindset, helping me not only to feel, but also to talk like an Italian. 

What has been most helpful about this course is the fact that we have learned a lot of idiomatic expressions and vocabulary that you cannot find in a textbook. We have learned how Italians truly think, feel, and speak, instead of only learning the grammatically correct way of speaking it. We have started mastering colloquial language and can more comfortably talk about historical and cultural events that happened in Italy, as well as talk about abstract and difficult material. From 3-4 pm on Mondays, we have an Italian lab, which has helped us review grammatical concepts from last semester, while expanding and deepening our knowledge about Italian grammar.

From 1:30-2:45 pm, I have French 246: Introduction to Francophone Cultures. Since I did not have the opportunity to take a French course last semester, I decided that I would communicate with a French professor and ask her if I could skip a few levels of French in order to take this course. After taking the placement exam, I found out that I could take this course, as long as I had the permission from the professor and got an override. Despite the fact that I did not take several courses that are required for the major and for the minor, I do not have any regrets taking the last 200 level French course offered at my college. 

I went from struggling writing 10 perfectly grammatically correct sentences in AP French as a senior in high-school to being able to write 7 pages of an analytical paper about colonialism in French. In this course, we have already watched over 5 films, have read 3 novels from three different countries, have had 3 presentations, but, most importantly, I have learned how to think critically, how to think outside of the box, and how to elaborately write about historical events in a language other than my other tongue. Another way of thinking about what I have been able to accomplish so far is that I no longer have to stop and think about every grammatical point in my head: I now know how to think in French and can easily switch into that mindset when writing, reading, speaking, and listening to my professor talk about controversial, yet important historical and cultural events in Francophone-speaking countries.

Lastly, from 1:30-2:45 pm on Tuesdays and on Thursdays, I have Spanish 295: Introduction to Latino Studies. This course has been extremely rewarding and has been the most personal course that I have taken so far. Before this semester, I had not had the opportunity to take a course taught completely in Spanish since fifth grade. I had not realized how much I missed having a native Spanish instructor and having to read and speak with others in my mother tongue. I am beyond blessed that I am in this course, because it has allowed me to meet several other students whose mother tongue is also Spanish, as well as students who are passionate about Spanish and Spanish-speaking countries. 

We have already talked about Hispanics in the United States and have extensively talked about Mexican-Americans, Puerto Rican-Americans, and Cuban-Americans in the American context. We have read 3 novels, have presented, and have had intellectual discussions and conversations about these topics. I have also been able to rekindle my love for my own culture, as well as learn about others who have similar, yet completely distinct experiences from my own. I have also been able to strengthen my sense of worth and my identity by taking this course.

Now that I have shared my experience taking 4 intellectually challenging courses, those who are currently taking, or who are planning on taking courses in more than one language (whether that be courses in your mother tongue(s), or in foreign languages), I have already written a post that gives you several tips on how to successfully learn multiple languages at once. Feel free to read my post titled “How to Learn Multiple Languages At Once” if you want to gain some words of wisdom about what I have personally noticed works and what does not when approaching language-learning.

The most important piece of advice that I can give you is to not let what others tell you that you cannot do get in the way. Besides my parents, I have had many people tell me that it would not be feasible or healthy for me to take courses in more than two languages, but have never let that affect me. Instead, I have surrounded myself with positive influences and with supportive friends and family members who are there for me no matter what. I try to be as involved in all of the language departments of which I am a part and have many international friends. There truly is no secret formula. The only secret is perseverance. Passion. Never giving up and following your dreams and never letting anyone, or anything, get in the way from achieving your goals.


No comments:

Post a Comment