Saturday, February 13, 2016

Listen to YouTubers in Your Target Language

I am sure that most of you will agree with what I am about to say: most of us do not have a lot of free-time, or find it hard to do something productive whenever we do not have any obligations. I will admit that I have often made up excuses to not do what I truly think will be beneficial for me. Being a college student can be physically and mentally exhausting, but is worth it. I have found that one of the easiest ways to keep up with my language fluency in 5 languages has been free: watching YouTube videos made by native speakers in my target languages.



This tip sounds very simple, and, in fact, it is. If you are ever unsure on how to cook pasta, or how to change your car’s tires, look up tutorials on how to do those things in your target language. For example, I have had a hard time finding female Italian YouTubers that I enjoy watching, but stumbled upon an interesting channel a few weeks ago. What I did was type up “impara a cucinare” (which translates to “learn how to cook” in Italian), and ended up finding a young girl’s channel who not only knows how to cook well, but also speaks at a native pace. Watching her recipe videos reinforces the food vocabulary that I learned last semester, and also allows me to quickly learn new words. Why is this approach is so effective? It is visual, auditory, and, oftentimes, also written, which are three key elements in attaining proficiency, and, or fluency in another language.

Almost anything that you want to learn about, learn how to do, or know how to say can be found on YouTube in many languages. Once you find several channels that you enjoy watching, your YouTube browser will eventually give you suggestions on what you might enjoy watching next. It will give you suggestions on new channels, or videos that are related to topics, or videos that you have already watched. As time goes on, you will find YouTubers that suit your needs, and that match your interests. 

As a bonus, I will give you the names of some of my favorite YouTubers for several of the languages that I speak. This can get you started if any of your target languages are the ones that I mention below. If not, feel free to follow the easy steps that I mention above, and start searching. You can also type up “famous/popular YouTubers of [country’s name]” on Google, and get many results if you are unsure about how to start.


French (Français):

Caroline & Safia: Beauty, fashion, and lifestyle
Cyprien: Funny and entertaining videos
Emma: Beauty, fashion, and lifestyle
EnjoyPhoenix: Beauty, fashion, and lifestyle
Jenesuispasjolie®: Beauty, fashion, TAGS, advice, lifestyle
NORMAN FAIT DES VIDÉOS: Funny and entertaining videos

German (Deutsch):

xLaeta: Beauty, fashion, and lifestyle
Ischtar Isik: Beauty, fashion, travel, and lifestyle
Julia Beautx: Beauty, fashion, tags, and lifestyle
Sami Slimani: Funny and entertaining videos, fashion, beauty, and DIY
Shanti Tan: Beauty, fashion, and lifestyle

Italian (Italiano):

Alberto ITALIANOAUTOMATICO: Helps you learn Italian by discussing different topics
deSciò : Funny and entertaining videos
Gioca e impara con noi: Helps you learn Italian by learning about toys
Oneworlditaliano: Helps you learn Italian by discussing different topics

Portuguese (Português):

DamonAndJo: Helps you learn Portuguese by discussing different topics (and are funny)
Hellen Hensel: Helps you learn Portuguese by discussing different topics
Russian (русский):
Easy Russian: Helps you learn Russian by discussing different topics



No comments:

Post a Comment