Friday, February 26, 2016

Tim Doner: The Hyperpolyglot That Inspired Me

By simply reading the title of this blog post, you might be wondering, what is a hyperpolyglot? A hyperpolyglot is someone who speaks six, or more languages fluently. A few years ago, I was in my room watching YouTube videos after a long week of school, and stumbled upon a video that changed my life. It not only made me research what a hyperpolyglot was, but also made me want to become one. That night, my goal seemed unreachable, and unachievable. I only spoke Spanish and English fluently, and could stumble my way through French. Fast-forward to now, I have extensively studied 6 languages, and am working on my seventh.



I wanted to share this video with you, because it holds a special place in my heart. It introduced me to an online hyperpolyglot community on YouTube, and has allowed me to find my sense of self, my true identity, and the real me. I continue to be amazed by how dedicated Tim Doner has been, and how passionate he is about learning. In my opinion, he is the true testament of what our brains are capable of, and of our innate ability to speak many languages fluently.

Many people could make the argument and say that his brain is simply wired differently, or that he was born smarter than most, but I will say otherwise. He represents to what hard work, determination, and consistent studying can eventually lead. As you will see in the video above, he has always been willing to speak with native speakers, even as a beginner, and has spent many hours pursuing his love for language learning.

To those who are not hyperpolyglots, I challenge you to rethink about several things:

`1. Do not simply believe that someone who is a hyperpolyglot is a genius. 

Most of the best hyperpolyglots have spent years, and sometimes even decades, perfecting their oral, speaking, writing, and reading skills. They are passionate, fearless, and dedicated. They do not let roadblocks, or their slow progress get them down. Instead, they look for reasons to motivate them to continue with their studies.


2. If you are someone who speaks more than one language, and or is learning more than one at a time, I hope that this video inspires you. 

Who knows? Maybe it will introduce you to a new way in which you can think about approaching foreign language acquisition, and learning.


3. Start listening to more audio input, and practice your speaking skills whenever you interact with a native speaker of your target language.

As Tim Doner says in the video, you may make many mistakes, or feel uncomfortable, but what matters is that you are trying to have a stronger, and a personal connection with someone whose native tongue is not English. Native speakers appreciate it when foreigners take the time to learn their language, especially if it is distantly related to English, and are very patient with you if you express an interest, or attempt to speak with them as soon as you see them.


4. Share this video with your friends, and family.

I am sure that there are many people like me who have a love for languages, but have had many obstacles, or roadblocks along the way. This video could help someone recharge his/her batteries by giving him/her a new perspective on language-learning.

I hope that you enjoyed learning more about hyperpolyglotism, and about an individual who has taught us that our brains do not have as many limits as we once thought that they had.



No comments:

Post a Comment