Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Using Google Translate for Language Learning

As many of you know, I am currently a college student who is hoping to study three languages at the college level, which is a huge undertaking. There are times in which I wonder whether or not I will be able to understand a passage well, or read an entire novel in a foreign language without stumbling across too many unknown words. Thankfully, Google has a feature called Google Translate that has helped me make this transition much smoother and easier.



Before I explain how I specifically use Google Translate, I want to mention that it is by no means an application on which you should always rely. It will not always give you correct translations and sometimes creates more communication barriers and confusion than it will help you. On that note, if you keep this in mind and know how to use it wisely, it can be very useful throughout your language-learning journey. In my experience, Google Translate has been most accurate in Romance languages, specifically in Spanish, French, Italian, and Portuguese, and has been very inaccurate in German. In most cases, when I use it for Russian, I can get an overall gist of what a paragraph or sentences mean.

How exactly do I use Google Translate to help me learn languages? This semester, I have used it to look up individual words, idiomatic expressions, and to type up full sentences to try and decipher overall meanings. If you need to look up words, it will give you most translations of them in bold, along with their synonyms. If you are wise and look at all of the words below the bolded words, you can easily tell which translation is the one that conveys the meaning closest to the word of you which you are thinking. Keep in my that online dictionaries that are made in the countries of your target languages will most likely be more accurate; however, Google Translate will help you in this regard most of the time.

Not all idiomatic expressions will be translated with this application, but most of the commonly used, everyday expressions will be translated correctly (I can testify to this because I am a native Spanish speaker, and have been impressed by its ability to provide you with correct translations of expressions that cannot and should not be directly translated from one language to another). Using Google Translate to translate full sentences or paragraphs can get messy, but it is possible. This semester, I have already had to translate many sentences from French, Italian, and Russian to English, and have found it a lifesaver. I often use this application to double-check the general meanings of sections of readings and to make sure that I am understanding the majority of what I read, as opposed to guessing and solely relying on my memory for comprehension.

Another important question to ask is: When do you know when you can trust Google Translate as opposed to when it causes you more harm than good? Generally speaking, you should have a good enough grasp on a language to know what sounds and is grammatically correct. Whenever I am in doubt, I type a sentence on Google in quotes to verify if it exists and if it used in my target language. For example, if I want to know how to say “thank you for your help” in Spanish, Google Translate translates it as “gracias por tu ayuda.” If you type up “gracias por tu ayuda” in quotes, many results will show up on Google in a matter of seconds, which confirms that it is correctly translated. If you know that a translation is incorrect, or is far from the actual translation by simply reading the translation that it provides, try looking up individual words or phrases by using trusted online language dictionaries, or by using the above method.

After reading this post, I hope that you learned how to effectively use a free application that Google provides for anyone who owns a computer, or a cellphone. Do not forget to download the application onto your phone if you think that you will need it, or benefit from it.





No comments:

Post a Comment