Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Why Language Learning Pays Off

After a few months of reading some of my blog posts, or perhaps after many years of intensively studying a language, you may be asking yourself whether or not it is worth your time to continue doing so. That is a question that I oftentimes get asked, especially because many of my friends think that it could get confusing switching from one language to the next. I hope to convince you that learning languages does not only pay off, but that it also makes you a more well-rounded individual.


    1. Getting More Job Opportunities

Although I have never been in the workforce, I have had may fair share of jobs throughout the years. Due to my ability to not only excel in my language classrooms, but to also be able to effectively communicate in them, I was able to tutor in both Spanish and in French, as well as tutor privately at home. I tutored in French 1, 2, and 3, as well as in Spanish 3. Instead of following the traditional approach of tutoring, I would create study-guides for my students and would sit one-on-one with them. I would help them review material at their own pace and would work with them on with vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, reading, writing, and speaking. My ultimate goal was not to simply help them get an A on their next exam, but to make them feel comfortable using a different set of skills, and to be able to use their target language in the real world.

Aside from tutoring, I also babysat a younger girl for a few years and looked after her by playing games with her while only speaking to her in Spanish. I have also used my languages to have more effective and straight-forward communication between my parents’ friends, immigrants, minority groups, and children and I by speaking to them in their native languages. By doing so, I believe that the most effective relationships can be built, as I do not have to rely as heavily on translations, which can oftentimes lead to miscommunications, misinterpretations, or to mistranslations.  I hope to utilize my language skills at an international organization that promotes effective change by giving back to underprivileged individuals.


2. Friends All Over the World

At just nineteen years old, I can say that I am fortunate enough to have friends in 5 continents in over 20 states and countries thanks to my language studies. I attended an immersion language camp called Concordia Language Villages in northern Minnesota for 4 years by going to the French, German, Italian, and Russian camps. By consistently returning to those language villages, I made friends from around the country, making friendships that will last a lifetime and that continue to motivate to become a better person and language learner.

When I was younger, I attended a bilingual elementary school, which allowed me to meet first-generation classmates from around Latin-America. My high-school had students host international students through the AFS exchange program. Through those experiences, my family hosted students from Thailand and from New Zealand. I also became close friends with students from Norway, Japan, Malaysia, Tunisia, Argentina, and many other countries. By frequently participating in my university’s language clubs and tables, I have friends who are teaching assistants, international students, and other students who share some of my passions. No matter where my family ends up traveling next, I know that I will most likely have a connection in most regions of the world.


3. Discovered New Cultures

As the video above says, through my studies, I have learned how to appreciate individuals who think, believe, and act differently than I do and that both of my cultures do. Throughout my life, I have had the privilege of traveling to 5 continents and have friends around the globe, giving me a more open-minded perspective on cultural, ethnic, linguistic, and religious differences among different individuals. I especially enjoy working with children, immigrants, refugees, and minority groups by helping them feel welcomed and comfortable living in a new country.

I have already helped Hispanics become accustomed to a new country by speaking to them in Spanish and by responding to their particular needs. One of my most memorable experiences was collecting books for underprivileged Hispanics and bringing them to the children to pick out books in both Spanish and in English. Although this simple gesture may not seem like it could have impacted them in big ways, it definitely did. Before distributing them, I had never realized how lucky I was to be able to afford books, which I believe are one of the most important tools that children need in order to have equal access and opportunities to education and beyond their schooling. Because of my curiosity, I am hard-working and flexible. Whenever a task is presented to me, I know how to assess the situation and think about any kind of sensitivities, such as cultural differences, that the people with whom I am working may have.


Even though I only went in-depth with 3 reasons why I have found languages to be impactful in my life, the benefits surely outweigh the cons. Every day when I wake up, I continue to be thankful for all of the experiences that I have already had and that I will continue to have. All of these reasons are what ultimately give me drive and motivation to push through the tough days and not give up on my lifelong goals and dreams.



No comments:

Post a Comment